1/1/11

1/1/11. What a cool date. So cool, in fact, a toddler could easily scribble it. And in ten days, it will be 1/11/11. That's even cooler.

But like every other 1/1, resolutions come fast and furious. Some are frivolous, others profound, all well-intentioned. Many will be abandoned before the calendar flips to 2/1/11, an obviously not-as-cool date. But they say, whoever that proverbial "they" may be, that it takes a month to establish a habit. So chances are, if you can make it to February, there's a better than average chance that you may have won the initial battle.

As the clock ticks away at this premier day, I am conflicted. Conflicted about what I want to accomplish this year. What races should I run? Should I seek an 8-5 job or keep doing whatever it is that I do now? How can I get myself in front of audiences in an effort to motivate and encourage? When should I start my next book? What should it be? And most pressing, should I commit to write again everyday as I did in 2008?

I hate making these decisions and I suppose I should get them nailed down before my head hits the pillow tonight. There is some relief in doing that. But, I also understand that once a decision is made, plans need to be implemented. I'm a pretty good planner but sometimes, I lack in the follow through. In that case, my decisions fall into the resolution failure category. I hate it when that happens.

I suppose you may expect me to reveal my decisions right now. Well, not tonight. I need to think on it awhile longer. Lists need to be written, pros and cons arranged. I shall have to weigh each one in terms of what I know about pleasing God and using any talents that He has given me. So, while you are not likely to lose any sleep over this, I'll let you know what I decide later. Happy New Year.

To humans belong the plans of the heart,
   but from the LORD comes the proper answer of the tongue.
All a person’s ways seem pure to them,
   but motives are weighed by the LORD.
  Commit to the LORD whatever you do,
   and he will establish your plans.(Proverbs 16:1-3)

Comments

Rick Gray said…
Dates are cool. What about 11/11/11? Dates are only dates unless we have accomplished something that particular date. I know you have made a decision at least in concept as to your resolutions as you have kept yourself focussed on God. I think today's (January 3rd) daily challenge is somewhat fitting here. Want freedom? "Trust and obey, for there's no other way." If we continue to pray, God just seems to guide us along.
11/11/11...you're right. The neatest of all! :)

BTW- I have written the last two days in case I decide to do it daily again. Gives me more time to decide. Still trying to sort out how I want my next book to be organized so I can start working on it.

Popular posts from this blog

A view from the front (seat)

100 miles and a buckle

Still learning lessons after all those miles