Hellgate. Here I come--again.

I have a deep love-hate relationship with Hellgate. It's hellish 66.6 miles (yes, by multiple GPS measurements) bids heavy portions of gloom and doom. The peculiar midnight start, stream crossings in the early miles, huge climbs and sweeping descents, frigid air and wind-swept mountaintops challenges even the most seasoned runner.

But, Hellgate also beckons in her siren voice. "Come to me. Embrace the night, the solitude. See the moon beams dance across open fields. Hear the rustle of fallen leaves. Watch your warm breath meet the night air in a rhythmic release of mist clouds. Stand still, if only for a moment, and listen. Listen to a quiet, sleeping world. Then, be thankful and run on."

I have started each of the eight races. This year will be the nineth. All but once, I have found the finish line. Some years I ran swiftly. I slogged through others. I have more finishes than any other woman. But I still can't predict what will happen this year. I am promised a healthy dose of suffering. I know it will hurt. I'm just not certain how bad it will be.

I have experience on my side. But experience only gets you so far. Last year, I cruised effortlessly through the first thirty-five miles. Then the fun-meter ran out and my lack of long-runs reached out to grab at my ankles in a death-grip. This year, I'm fighting a nagging knee injury from a soccer game back in June. I am popping decongestants to get rid of a newly-acquired cold. The race could go either way for me.

But regardless, I have a job to do. I will report to work at precisely one minute past midnight in the wee hour of Saturday morning. I hope to punch out less than eighteen hours later, job completed.

Stay tuned. Report to follow.


Comments

Rick Gray said…
Yes you do have a job to do and I look so forward to suffering right along beside you. Despite your suffering last year, you pulled me onto a PR for myself. I have a feeling you will do the same this year. You know how to run this course like the back of your hand. I know you will take on the pain of knee and the discomfort of the cold to run your little heart out. You will do your best and another year will go down in the books. See you in a few days.
Looking forward to seeing you too! Now, if I can just decide on my outfit. :)
Rick Gray said…
Have you made a new skirt for this this race? Whatever you do wear, be sure you are color coordinated. I only run beside ladies who are stylish!
Casseday said…
Good luck Rebekah!
Thanks Adam and yes, Rick. A new skirt and leggings. But, if it's super windy, I might have to go back to boring, black tights.
Rick Gray said…
Can't wait to see the new outfit. You are always the envy of every lady running. I will be wearing boring black tights, but I am still wondering if I will need to change into shorts during the late morning.
The high here in town is only in the 40s/low 50s for sat. I am thinking that up there it will still be in the 30s all day. Also- the mts are supposed to get a couple of inches tonight. My guess is the parkway will be closed. They close it for about any reason nowadays.

Popular posts from this blog

A view from the front (seat)

100 miles and a buckle

Still learning lessons after all those miles