Gratitude for step after step

On a whim, I signed up for a race that was a mere seven days away. A 6-hour timed race, it sounded so, well, short--at least compared to a 24-hour race. And why not? On race day I would be a month out from a 24-hour event and two weeks shy of a 25-mile mountain race. Even though my weekly mileage could hardly be called "training," a pavement run through a park seemed like a swell idea for the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Not wanting to make the 1:45 drive in the wee hours, an inexpensive hotel room the night before was the perfect way to relax with the Hallmark channel broadcasting predictable yet soul-soothing Christmas movies. I felt wonderfully relaxed and at ease, sleeping better than expected.

Lest you think this a typical race report, that is not my intent. That said, the facts are simple. It was a chilly 27 degrees at the start, never breaking 42 through race's end. The course was a 1.34 blacktopped ramble through an idyllic community park: playgrounds, duck pond, Little Leauge field, large pool, and even a rideable miniature train and track. The field of competitors was small (about 40) but there was an ever-increasing number of citizens walking dogs, exercising, and enjoying the holiday scenes set up
around the park.

My goal was as simple as the facts: keep moving for the duration, run smart, and be grateful for what I could do rather than what I used to be able to do. Oh, and one other thing: smile.

Given my training (or lack thereof), I knew my legs would take a pounding. Therefore, I was smart in being mindful of maintaining form with small, almost shuffling steps, shoulders back, and hips rotated slightly forward. My pace was guarded and conservative, chatting freely with friends on the first several laps. After that, I primarily ran solo, taking in the views, greeting puppies and people along the way. And yes, I smiled. A lot.

At the two-hour mark, I had covered a little over 11 miles. Could I maintain that pace for another four hours? So far, it felt fairly easy and the time short. I tried not to focus on a mileage goal but have to admit that a 50K in six hours would certainly be a nice accomplishment.

Within two more hours, 21 miles had been covered. I was a bit concerned when the lap keeper inquisitively asked on one of my passes through the start-finish, "What lap are you on?" My heart dropped along with any confidence I had that my laps were being accurately recorded. Oh well. I still had my Coros watch which has proved in the past to be fairly accurate. I continued on with the goal of being steady, smart, and smiling.

As time slipped away, I was pleasantly surprised that covering 31 miles was within reach. However, there could be no lolly-gagging. Pushing on the last couple of laps before time ran out, my heart rate rose along with the determination to finish well. Helen, a good friend caught me on the last lap, asking if I was in the lead. I honestly did not know. There was another girl who had passed me on one lap but I passed her back on the last lap. I had no idea where she was. But it was a choice to not allow myself to become distracted with that which I could not control. The only thing I could control was doing my best to the very end.

Helen pulled away a time or two, leaving me to catch up. Even on the final downhill to the finish, my freight train breathing was proof of how hard I was trying to get and stay even with her. We crossed the imaginary line between the cones shoulder to shoulder. It was 5:58 and change. Because I had promised myself to be in motion the entire time, I continued to walk until my watch struck 6:00. My mileage? 31.15.

I smiled and was pleased.

Awarded third place for the women, I added a cool plaque, medal, and running store gift certificate to my takeaways. But with results still not posted, I am unsure of the official standings and a little leery of their accuracy. Nevertheless, I can honestly say, "I really don't care." 

I am grateful for what I could do. By my watch, I covered 31.15 miles in six hours. I did my best with what I had to work with. I made smart decisions in terms of pace, hydration, and calories. I never had a slump, amazed at how quickly the time went by. I remained positive the whole race and actually enjoyed the process of putting one foot in front of the other.

It was a good day and I am better for it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 miles and a buckle

A view from the front (seat)

Still learning lessons after all those miles