Day 1


January 1, 2012

It wasn’t much but it was something. Good thing something was enough.

I have never been a streak runner. That’s not to say I haven’t been impressed, even amazed, by long-term running. I’ve always been a believer in rest days—and have needed them. But some time in the last twenty-four hours, I have this strange urge to take it on.

On this first day of the year, I occupied myself with cleaning, purging and organizing while I kept one eye on the TV. “Radio” was on, an inspiring true story about James Robert Kennedy, a developmentally challenged young man. The caring football coach of Hanna High took Radio, as he was known given his passion for radios, under his wing. Perhaps it was metamorphosis, compassion, the pure joy of sport, the honest pursuit of purpose and perseverance that made me consider this task.

I’ve been asked about my running goals for 2012. I’ve considered many things but none seemed quite right. Hence, I’ve had no answer. Until now.

I’m in dire need of purpose. I yearn for something to keep me honest and moving in the right direction. My rule will be at least a mile a day. No excuses. No regrets.

Will the world become new if I remain true? Hardly. In fact, few will care. But I care. I care to commit once again because I know it’s good for me. In 2008, I decided to journey my devotional thoughts every day of 2008. The reality became the hardest thing I have ever done. But it was also the most rewarding in terms of maturity, spiritual insight, and appreciation of each day’s gifts, challenges and difficulties.

I suspect there will be major obstacles in my quest. I will be tired, there will be a cold, driving rain, I might be sick or injured, it could be scorching hot. But I also know I will have time to think, contemplate, pray. I know sometimes I will want to go blank. I know I will feel better in the end. I will feel accomplished. Even if I run a mere mile, I will have run. I will have won.

So, it started this afternoon. Having run long in the mountains on a hurting knee yesterday, my run was a piddley mile and a half right as it was starting to blow and rain. In this Leap Year, I have only 365 days to go. 

Run silent. Run deep. Run long. Run strong. . .One day at a time.

Stay tuned for daily blog postings.

Comments

Rick Gray said…
Just as you did four years ago when you began your daily writing of "Pace Yourself", take one day at a time and continue to move forward. In many ways this is different than any of your long races, but at the same time it is the same. A different kind of pain, different frustrations, but the end result is the same - to succeed. A dear friend of mine wrote these words and they apply here - "May we always remember to run long, run strong... one day at a time".
True :)

I love my "rest" days so even though a mile seems so little (perhaps just 8-10 min), I know it will still be hard at times.

This is something I have never done so I figured I would give it a try.

Popular posts from this blog

100 miles and a buckle

A view from the front (seat)

Still learning lessons after all those miles