Say it outloud. Write it down.

Goodness. Best of intentions have gotten me again. I really, really wanted to post at least one a week. But from the looks of it, I have fallen off the wagon since September. It's not that I haven't thought about it. In fact, I had these thoughts rolling around inside my head for quite a while. But life gets busy and my energy run out at the end of the day. However, I must pen some ideas now lest they dissipate with the wind rustling the leaves outside my window.

A week ago Thursday, my cross country team was facing conference championships on Saturday. It has been a good year but a few things were yet to be accomplished. In a "fireside chat" before we set out on our run I asked the kids-all of them-to publicly state their goal for the race. After the initial panic subsided, the kids started talking. Most took the task quite seriously. Some had a time goal to beat. Others wanted to place. A friendly but mutual "I want to beat her" dual even emerged. Two runners wanted to win it all. Each goal, no matter how optomistic or realistic, was written on a tablet and guarded for safe keeping. On Monday we would revisit that list.

Well, guess what happened? That's right. Many of the goals were achieved. Great satisfaction followed in the wake. But what about those who fell short? Each was analyzed for it's merit and what may have gone wrong. We had to talk about how to respond to apparent "failure." Was your pre-race preparation adequate? Could you have done any better at a particular point in the race? Did your will betray you going up that tough hill or chasing down one last opponent?

It was an interesting exercise not only for them but for me. When we commit to something openly, our feet are held to the proverbial fire. It's hard to escape our own words, our intentions, our goals. Will we fail somewhere along the way? Probably. But as the fortune cookie quip read at the restaraunt on the way home from the championship: "A man may fail many times but he is not a failure until he stops trying."

I commit to write at least once a week. There. I said it. Now help me keep to it.

Comments

Rick Gray said…
I have to say that I have missed your writings, but I knew you were not far away. I knew an inspiring post would come along soon, so I wait with anticipation. You have so many faithful readers out there, so if we help hold you accountable, I am all for it. I thank you for all of your writings as it is something I really look forward to reading.
OK. If you don;t see something...call me on it!
jason duelge said…
Whether you keep to your post/week or not, it's good to be trying to do this.
I'm just posting to say thank you for the "race" we had at the end of the Mt Masochist last weekend. We'd engaged in a little back and forth (along with Andrew, the blimey from Detroit) and then, when I stopped to refill my water bottle at the last aid station and I looked up to see you *sprinting* down the trail, I turned to the aid station guy and asked "how much further to go" and he said "about 3" ... well, I knew he was speaking in Horton miles, but I took off running anyway. It took me a few miles to catch you (and the few people you'd passed as well) and I had no qualms about passing my "big sister". Thanks for the chats on the trails ...
Haha, Jason. It was fun to play a little cat and mouse for those ending miles. Next time, no mercy if you pass me again right at the end. :)

Popular posts from this blog

100 miles and a buckle

A view from the front (seat)

Still learning lessons after all those miles