To infinity and beyond; Beyond "Pace Yourself,"

FaceBook is both a blessing and a curse. In a digital world, it's just one more opportunity to get sucked into the big black hole that consumes way too much time and energy from already busy lives. FB brings good news and bad, tidbits about everyday events, details so vivid you question the writer's sanity, and an occasional deep thought that makes putting up with all the trivia worthwhile. Last week I was messaged by a friend and it was worth it.

Seems like Jensen, her daughter and a bright fifth-grader, is working on a project and wanted my input as an author. I was flattered, of course. But this project was not a typical grade school diorama or annoying fund-raising project. She was writing a book. Yes, a big, big book. A huge undertaking, to be sure.

We met up for lunch and between bites of our sandwiches, I was impressed with Jensen's work. When "Pace Yourself" came out last year, she and her parents spent each evening reading the day's selection. They enjoyed it while an idea was formulating in the youngster's head. Come January 1, she began to write. And she hasn't stopped yet.

Jensen with her parents, Christine and Brian Schram
As I looked at her hand-written journal, I read stories from her everyday life and spiritual analogies that few adults could easily discover. Her insight was pure and innocent and accompanied by a fitting scripture verse. She has written every day so far and wishes to create her own year-long devotional book. When most fifth-grade girls fret about getting cooties from the boys or wearing the right hair bow, this one is pre-occupied to journal her spiritual pathway for an entire year. When I decided to do the same in 2008, I was scared senseless. Writing everyday is so, so hard. But don't tell Jensen. In this case, ignorance is bliss.

I pray over "Pace Yourself" quite often and have ever since I began writing. I have no idea what God may chose to do with it. I pray the He will expand my borders and use me for His glory. Just the other day, I received a hand-written note in the mail. I didn't know the author of the note but was thrilled when I read her words. ". . .I can't tell you what a blessing it has been to me and how often the day's writing speaks to my heart and gives me just the message that I needed to hear that day. Thank you for all the effort and care that you put into what is obviously God has laid on your heart. I hope that another book will follow..."

I think other books will follow but don't be surprised if one of them belongs to a young girl who is focused on seeing daily God-lessons. Out of the mouth of babes...

Comments

Rick Gray said…
Two days ago your devotion was titled "Will Not Return Empty". In that devotion you discussed your sister in law, Joy, who shared your book "Under an Equatorial Sky" with a Hispanic farm worker who had just begun running. You discussed that when he returned the book to Joy, he was excited about his running, but he also did not know you were so religious. We never know when and to what extent we will affect others. Our actions may be far reaching both good and bad. In the case of Jensen, I think you have had a profound affect on her. Maybe so much as to mold her life-long work. God only knows the influence she could have on others in the future. Sounds like Jensen is one special person. God is proud.
It's fun to see God open doors. Jensen's mom wrote me last night that she couldn't wipe the smile off her Jensen's face when she read her my blog story. Sort of fun...
Rick Gray said…
Her reaction continues to show just how special she is. I am sure her parents know she is a wonderful gift from God.

Popular posts from this blog

100 miles and a buckle

A view from the front (seat)

Still learning lessons after all those miles