Just one more day: Days 9 - 15


Day 9 – January 9, 2012

 There’s nothing like a cold rain to make you want to curl up with a good book and forget about running. But I had practice with the kids and there was work to be done. The purpose was a decent recovery run since some were still a little tired from racing two days prior. Off we went for a campus tour and came back nearly seven miles later a little wetter and muddier. Puddles are just too much fun.

Total – 6.8 miles road
  
Day 10 – January 10, 2012

It was more pleasant today but the last thing I wanted to do was make the kids do speed work on the track. But since speed is what we needed, we did a 1.5 warm-up to the intramural soccer fields and from there, divided into three teams. A variety of races (think suicides the length of soccer fields) had us all breathing hard. Then it was on to “train” runs (last person in line surges to the front) and our favorite 4-corner workout where we jog the outside of the square and do hard pick-ups across the diagonals. Then, it was back to the school. With a lot of laughter along with the sweat, it was much better than repeat 200s on the track.

I did find out, however, that my 7-month knee annoyance really does not like to run fast or backwards. Ouch. My team suffered with me gimping along.

Total – 5.5 miles

Day 11 – January 11, 2012

 The weather forecaster promised heavy rain and cold temps late in the afternoon. I figured if I was going to let the kids off the hook, I would need to run before practice. Starting off in drizzle and finishing in a 38 degree downpour, I got in a few miles. At practice we did 3 sets of our 12-stage circuit (30 sec all out effort) and rested the legs from track and road runs.

Total – 4 road miles
  
Day 12 – January 12, 2012
 The weather was the yummy crème filling between two not-so good cookies. The cold rain yesterday and the predicted cold gusts for tomorrow spurned me on to check out a new trail before practice. I never found it but ran a couple trail miles followed by several easy miles with my top runners. All-in-all, a pretty laid back day.

Total – 5.3 trail/road miles
  
Day 13 – January 13, 2012
 The forecasters were right. It is 25 degrees colder than yesterday with 40 mph winds. I have to admit it. I didn’t want to take a single step outside only to get blown into the next country. So I was a big wimp. I put on my cloths and ran around our fields and blow-down strewn trails, somewhat protected from the wind. It was actually pleasant when the late afternoon sun warmed my face.

Then is was off to be with my 1600m runners at the huge LU Invite. It was good to get in warm-up/cooldown miles with Abby, Jamie and Trey.  Congrats to Abby who PRed and ran away with her heat in 5:44.

Total – 5.5 miles trails/field/road

Day 14 – January 14, 2012

 Before watching hours of track competition, I decided to get in a few miles of trail in the crisp, cold morning. But this was not a normal run. I wanted to try my hand at running with hiking sticks, preparing for fourteen days on the AT this summer. It will take some getting used to but I was pleased with the help they provided on steep uphills. Now if I can just keep from  tripping myself with those things!

Miles – 5.5 trail
  
Day 15 – January 15, 2012
Whether a run is strong and fast or slow and problematic, a run that gets you to the end is still a good day.

I joined about 35 other runners to tackle a loop at Holiday Lake. I had a few issues with something weird in my foot and a few trips to the woods. Still, there were periods that I ran well. Sure, I wasn’t very fast but I stayed out there and am glad I did.

Total – About 17 trail miles

Comments

Rick Gray said…
You make me proud Rebekah. You are staying on task and I am sure benefiting from your every day runs. You be careful running backwards - it plays with the mind!
Haha. Backwards can be fun.

Popular posts from this blog

100 miles and a buckle

A view from the front (seat)

Still learning lessons after all those miles