Just one more day: Days 37-43


Day 37 - February 6, 2012

With repeat 400s on the track at a specific pace, I knew I had to act like a coach today and stand there with my stopwatch. So, I ran some trails before practice and then ran the warmup with the team. I actually felt decent. Note to self: The new pair of shoes I finally pulled out of the box and started wearing may be helping my aches and pains subside just a little. Duh.

Total – 7.5 trail and road miles

Day 38 – February 7, 2012

This was going to be the last trail run of the season for my indoor track distance runners. With the state championships just a few days away, I wanted a run that wasn’t too long, not too short. A run that was just right. With a loop in mind, I set off to run it before practice before going down the mountain to meet my team. Together we ran those trails, some of which has been cleared of leaves with a leaf blower! First time for everything. When we finished the tough and predominantly uphill run, we enjoyed a time of thanksgiving prayer, circled up as a group who truly loves each other. I am so blessed.

Total – 7.6 trail miles

Day 39 – February 8, 2012

I got punked today when I got to practice. My entire team decided to play hide and seek, only I didn’t know it. They hid until I finally found them. Good one! But it set a nice stage for a fun run and a little section of pickups on smooth grass.

Total – 4.0 miles road, gravel, and grass

Day 40 - February 9, 2012

This was our last day of practice before the state indoor track meet. With all the work behind us, practice was a simple run to the outdoor track, a couple 200s at 1000 m pace, a run back and then a rousing game of kickball. Knowing it was going to be a light day, I hit the trails for a jaunt before practice.

Total – 5.2 trail and road

Day 41 – February 10, 2012

It was with mixed emotion that my little car sped toward Holiday Lake. My mission was to run the trails and check markings for the 50 tomorrow. I am not able to run because of conflicts with coaching responsibility tomorrow at the state championship meet. But as I ran along hanging additional streamers, I thought and prayed for my neophyte runner, Sarah Quigg. Sarah ran for me last year and was staring in the face of her first ultra. I wondered what she would be thinking, how she would be thinking. I suppose we’ll know soon enough.

Total – 9 trail miles

Day 42 – February 11, 2012

Please don’t laugh at my meager mile. It was all I could squeeze in. I was up at 6 am, on a bus at 7, spent the day at the state indoor meet, and finally got home at 10:30 at night. Somewhere between the 300 meters races, I escaped to the outdoor track and put in four laps immediately post- freak snow squall. And that’s all she wrote.

Total – 1 track mile

Day 43 – February 12, 2012

In any good experiment, observation is key in data collection. So far, in my 366-day running experiment, I am finding two things. 1) I am much happier about running, most days looking forward to logging some miles. That’s a good thing as I have often viewed my running as a burden in recent years. 2) The flip side is I think I could easily let the experiment take on a life of it’s own. Though the number of miles has not been impressive thus far, I find myself contemplating the need to add huge miles because I know people are following my progress. Miles that can be counted on one hand are scoffed at by some. So, I will need to be very careful not to let this get out of control. Balance is key.

Total – 4 road miles
Year-to-date: 233.4

Comments

Jail Break said…
Nice post, thanks for sharing. It was a great activities. Congratulations for a great job well done and looking forward always for more updates.
Thanks for your interest!

Popular posts from this blog

A view from the front (seat)

100 miles and a buckle

Still learning lessons after all those miles